I have been volunteering with Asha DC for a few years now in different capacities–as runner, fundraiser, project steward, program coordinator, and chapter coordinator. In continuation of my past efforts, I am participating in the Team Asha DC program this year as well, and raising funds for projects that I also steward at Asha DC: Asha Trust – Ek Kadam, Jagriti Bal Vikas Samiti–Lodhar School and the Mahesh Pandey Fellowship. I hope to raise funds for these Asha DC-supported projects and fellowship that aim to bring socio-economic changes in India through the education of underprivileged children. It is a lot of time commitment to train for the events and do the fund-raising. Despite these challenges, I am constantly motivated knowing that the funds I raise help make a real difference in the lives of underprivileged children.
Why donate/participate in the team Asha DC 2017 program?
We all are very fortunate to be in the place where we are today and to have choices in life. There are millions of children in India who do not have a choice but to work at an early age, unable to pursue their studies due to lack of access to quality education. This is an effort to give them a choice to get educated, a choice to experience a better life and a chance to be a child again.
Here are some staggering facts:
- 1/6 of the humanity lacks literacy. Nearly a billion people, two thirds of them women, entered the 21st century unable to read a book or sign their names.
- There are more than 350+ million people in India alone who cannot read or write. That is greater than the entire population of the US !!!
- According to the last census report, one-third of all children in India aged 6-14 years (55 million total) are out of school.
Top 4 reasons why you should donate to Team Asha DC.
- Your contribution is tax-deductible (Tax ID: 77-0459884, Asha for Education).
- By educating underprivileged children, we can help them break out of the cycle of poverty and create better lives for themselves and their communities.
- Asha is a 100% volunteer-driven organization trying to keep the overhead low so that every dollar donated goes directly to benefit the cause. Athletes cover all marathon-related expenses.
- Most employers will match contributions made to Asha for Education.